My experience with writing, editing, and publishing comes in many forms.
- I am a 2018 Walter Dean Myers Grant recipient. Per the We Need Diverse Books™ site, the grant is awarded “to unpublished writers and illustrators from diverse backgrounds who are working on children’s or young adult literature projects.”
- I am Associate Fiction Editor for FORESHADOW: A Serial YA Anthology. If you’re looking to read some amazing young adult short stories from voices both fresh and favorite, check out our 2019 issues! It’s all free!
- I am a 2019-2020 Highlights Foundation Diversity Fellow. The Fellowship allows for professional and creative development for people of color working on projects in the children’s publishing industry. My experience with amazing craft workshops and expert faculty informs not only my own writing, but how I approach my editorial work.
- I was a YA Editorial Intern at Page Street Publishing. I read manuscripts and critiqued them regularly, so I’ve been exposed to common story issues. And I learned from stellar acquiring editors, too!
- I was a YA #PitchWars mentor for 2018! Check out my mentor page here! My amazing mentee, Jasmyne Hammonds, went on to sign with agent Suzie Townsend at New Leaf Literary after the agent showcase!
- I interned at literary agency McIntosh & Otis (Children’s Department working with YA, MG, and picture books), writing reader’s reports, evaluating submissions for potential representation, and, of course, writing kind rejection letters.
- I am a copy and line editor. I know when a sentence lacks clarity and flow, and if your manuscript isn’t conveying the right tone or hitting with enough emotion, I’ll find the weak spots. Trust me.
- I hold a B.A. in Media and Communications Studies with a minor in Creative Writing from Fordham University. Yes, I’m showing off that degree.
When I’m not editing something, I’m likely watching Let’s Plays for The Sims, marathoning Disney movies, obsessing over to-do lists, or taking a few minutes to meditate.
My Editing Philosophy
The heart of my editing philosophy is this: You are the expert on your novel.
My goal as your editor is to help bring your work to its highest potential. And that’s a collaborative effort. You’ve already put boundless energy into your manuscript. When I take on a new project, it becomes my turn to put my skills toward enhancing the novel as a whole. And while you can always expect honesty from me during the editing process, you can also anticipate a supportive relationship, meant to teach and encourage.
That said, you might not agree with every suggestion I make. And that’s perfectly okay! Remember: you are the expert. I will never speak over you, and you should never feel bullied. At the end of the day, you decide what changes you make to your manuscript. My aim isn’t to stifle your voice or crush your vision beyond recognition.
In short: I’m here to create beautiful fiction with you.
If you’d like to work with me, please refer to the Services page. When you’re ready–or if you have questions–contact me at TobiasEditorial@gmail.com. I look forward to hearing from you!